Mixed Lettuce, Fennel and Orange Salad
with Black Olive Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley
- 3 medium navel or Valencia oranges
- 10 cup(s) mixed lettuces, such as chicory, radicchio, and lettuce
- 2 head(s) Belgian endive, sliced
- 2 bulb(s) fennel, trimmed and sliced
- To prepare vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Stir in olives and parsley.
- To prepare salad: Using a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges. Quarter the oranges; slice pieces crosswise.
- Just before serving, combine lettuces, endive, fennel, and the orange slices in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat well.