I haven't tasted this cake yet. Although I see this in some bake shops in the US, I actually haven't seen any here in Dubai. I was a bit curious about this Red Velvet Cake. So I searched the internet and found out the following:
1. It's origin is not well defined. Some said it came from Waldorf-Astoria in New York while others claimed that the recipes appeared in a number of 19th century cookbooks.
2. The cake must have some cocoa but not much because it is not a chocolate cake.
3. Red food dye is used to the cake batter to make it red.
4. Cream cheese frosting is commonly used to frost this red cake.
5. This cake made an appearance in the 1989 movie Steel Magnolias.
(Photo credit: en.wikipedia.org)