So, how do we prevent the degeneration of healthy cells in our eyes? Take note of these tips and prevent vision loss and macular degeneration.
- Take multi-vitamin with B6, folic acid, and B12, Vitamin C and E and zinc.
- Take DHA omega-3 fatty acids supplement. If not, include omega-3 fatty acid rich food in your daily meal like salmon and avocado.
- If you are on the heavy side, loss weight as people with high LDL cholesterol, high triglycerides and those with high blood pressure are linked to macular degeneration.
- Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits especially those rich in beta-carotene like carrots, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Quit smoking as smoker have higher risk of developing macular degeneration.
- Exercise and be active as this help nourish your retina with enough intake of oxygen.
- Do not stare on your computer's monitor, TV, portable game consoles or any small device that can strain your eyes.
- If you have a desk job which involves long hours of computer usage, try to gaze away from your monitor every 20 minutes and look at greeneries or cool colors like pastel ones to sooth your eyes.