May 28, 2017

Tips for avoiding electrical hazards at home

Electricity is a commodity that everyone uses regularly. But it is not always used in a way that is safe. If you are not using electricity as you should there is a danger of electrocution or fire. You need to make sure that you are careful with the electrical supply and appliances in your home.

We are going to provide you with some tips on how to avoid electrical hazards in your home. Hopefully we can help you and your family avoid danger, and keep safe.
Making sure wiring is up to date and in good condition

One of the most important ways of avoiding danger from electricity is making sure the wiring in your home is up to date, and in good working order. In order to do this, you should have regular checks carried out by a qualified electrician. When you move into a new property you should find a reputable electrician in the area, as soon as possible. Doing so means that you not only have an electrician who will carry out checks and repair work for you, they are also more likely to be on hand if you need an emergency electrician, if you already have an established relationship with them.


Bad wiring can be dangerous.  Image courtesy of

The importance of not using electricity close to water

One of the biggest mistakes that people make, when it comes to danger from electricity, is having electricity sockets positioned too close to water, or using electrical appliances in close proximity to water. It’s important to note that water and electricity do not mix. If you use electricity where there is water present, you are at increased risk of electrocution.

Why using electrical appliances with wet hands is not a good idea

As with using appliances close to water, you should also not use an electrical appliance if you have wet hands. This is something that many people are guilty of doing, when using a hairdryer to dry their hair after a shower. If you do this, you increase the chances of being electrocuted.

Knowing how to extinguish an electrical fire

If you experience an electrical fire in your home, you should never throw water on it. This is only likely to make the fire worse and you could end up electrocuting yourself. Electrical fires need to be extinguished using the correct fire extinguisher. If you do not have the correct fire extinguisher, or you do not feel confident putting out the fire, you should switch off the electricity supply, leave your home and call the emergency services.


Using extension cords in the right way

The first thing to say about extension cords is that they should only be used temporarily, not in the long term. You should also make sure that extension cords are fixed securely and that they are not overloaded.

If you pay attention to the tips we have provided, they should help you avoid electrical hazards in your home.


Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.